does anyone know how this event works?
it seems to go like:-
1. farm mobs to get fireworks and firecracker ingredients (fireworks and firecrackers are distinct items)
2. let off fireworks at event altars
3. during 5 minutes before dragon appears charge up towers with firecrackers. each firecracker takes 5 seconds so 1 player can put about 60 onto a tower, they start at 30/180 so needs a lot of players to charge them all
4. dragon appears and spams "Red Flames" (lootpets). you are supposed to shoot it with firecrackers (event hotkey Ctrl+1) but it can take 555 hits, 1 hit is worth 5 points, and S rank needs 1000 points
5. dragon destroys 5 towers (pretty quickly), gets to exit portal, and gives prize depending on event score (I can get D reliably but haven't managed C even with 3 or 4 others in group
if Red Flames touch you, you turn into a Red Flame for 30s. I'm not sure if you can't do anything during this time or if there is a way to "defeat" other Red Flames. Sometimes when I run into them when I've been transformed, they sort of stop, and rise up in the air surrounded by a purple effect - and the "defeat Red Flames" quest counter goes up... but idk if that's useful to the PE itself, or how to actually do it
they can't be jumped over and also transform you when mounted. there is a skill (event hotkey Ctrl+2) that "temporarily traps the active Red Flame in a bubble and turns them back into magic" but despite the exciting description it doesn't do much. it has a long recharge time (30s), they have to be on top of you for it to work, and it won't work during the animation for the ctrl+1 firecracker skill.
The Ctrl+2 hotkey works when mounted but can't shoot firecrackers when mounted
when transformed it is possible to change back by touching another character (who isn't transformed too).
[so perhaps there is a tactic with some players fighting the Red Flames, some players throwing firecrackers, and some players rushing in to save people who get transformed]
Messages sometimes come up. Ones says something like "Red Flame barrier is changing" but it's unclear what this means. It might mean that the attack pattern is changing, but good luck making any use of that. Another says something like "Someone has penetrated the barrier disrupting the filthy aura", but again it's unclear if this relates to anything.
There is also an event npc at Unapu who talks gibberish and gives out items with names like "SYS24054508_NAME" which seem to just be time-limited experience orbs. But who knows? Maybe they make you immune to Red Flame transformation... or maybe they make your inventory inaccessible... maybe they delete your character.
I haven't seen this event before - the years I have played were I think 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and I think I would have noticed. it is mentioned (but not described) on the wiki and in the text for the dragon Bright Year. So I wonder if it is some mistranslated, bugged-up wreck that was still in development when all the development stopped, or if it dates from a time when "bullet hell" games were popular and guilds could still fill a raid party for an event, or if it is just a bit "opaque" (like most of the other events in DP).