Are Mages worth playing?

Osirans, can't login? Please report here with your Character Name & Game (DP, SH, or both): https://bit.ly/2lVWv2q
  • I have always been a caster player and not a bad one at that. Though not every game has a good setup for mages, yet this game needs some tuning. I've searched for guides, builds, videos and even in game players, but no one knows enough info that could help. The mage started out powerful but i only reached level 12 and I already feel weaker than seasoned players. Has the developers made casters this way for some reason I'm not seeing? The spells you learn up to level 12 don't do much for your level. As you continue to play you don't feel as strong as you did when you started. In fact you feel in need of partying up with others to finish a quest. The combat for the mage is auto attacks and not much in the ways of spells. So far the only useful spell from start to level 10 is a defensive spell using an earth shield, but even that doesn't keep you from dieing in level 12-15 areas. While playing with a friend I can see that the Archer has more capable skills better suited for surviving as a solo player. Where are all the damage spells the mage should have near the start of the game? Wouldn't the caster class have at least one damage spell near the start of the game? Are the developers and those in charge think this amount of skill is perfect for the mage? Casters have a slow start but we would still have some kind of spell to better kill off mobs in game outside of auto attacks. If so at least allow casters to move while casting without being hindered. The only AoE the Mage has early game is an auto attack, and he moves forward every time he uses it. Not very useful in most battles if you want it to land a hit on enemies. If anyone has any info that can best help me then please reply.

• most people think that the magical classes (Mage and Oracle) are the ones with more damage. Guardians can tank the shit out of mob groups and they stun very nice too, while rangers use lots of traps and bigger range skills to kill their enemies. oracle and mages do bad ass dmg with their skills, but only when you´re higher lvl. in the beginning being a mage is frustrating. you die a lot because - squishy. but beside that, if you group up with someone as a team you are unstoppable. the developers wanted the players to group up and explore the game as a team and find out all the mechanics. it´s not meant to be single player after all.

Arulo I Oracle lvl 105 I Xaim I Mage lvl 105

leader of Nghtmre

5xuI1dP.jpg?1

5lcgu2k.gif Q5F7AkW.png vutXa88.gif VIrXgzF.png

...and if you say run, i will run with you...

• in the beginning being a mage is frustrating. you die a lot because - squishy. but beside that, if you group up with someone as a team you are unstoppable. the developers wanted the players to group up and explore the game as a team and find out all the mechanics. it´s not meant to be single player after all.

In DP I have run through the main quest line with a mage (up to level 102 so far), though my main charakter is a guardian (lvl 105). Except 2 dungeons (DHT and NoT, which are intended for 10 player raid groups) it was no problem to absolve all quests and dungeons on my own (with my mage as well as with my guardian).

In the end content several mages are able to run the final dungeon (Racmon Grotto) on their own due to their high damage output, while my guardian suffers from not making enough damage to kill the dungeon bosses in time.

My suggestions: practise dodging and crowd control, choose a stalwart or swiftfoot dragon as your fighting companion (these dragons knock their opponent from his feet, giving you the time to kill him before reaching you), allways have a good healing spell in your dragon soul skill set up

As an outlook: the most powerfull skills will be accessible when reaching level 60 (dragon good mastery).

• As an outlook: the most powerfull skills will be accessible when reaching level 60 (dragon good mastery).

lvl 60 isn´t out yet, but we all hope they add more (old) content quick and god mastery is available again.

And I played all classes leveled them up to 105, fully geared, but mage and oracle are my favorites after all.

and neither NOT nor DHT have been a problem for my mage. which is why I said "in the beginning" as a low lvl you are squishy af compared to other classes

Arulo I Oracle lvl 105 I Xaim I Mage lvl 105

leader of Nghtmre

5xuI1dP.jpg?1

5lcgu2k.gif Q5F7AkW.png vutXa88.gif VIrXgzF.png

...and if you say run, i will run with you...

The post was edited 1 time, last by GreenDeath ().

• Sorcerer class is very powerful, I know some top players who played as it. In my personal opinion I would rank Oracle and Sorcerer as the classes for best damage. However I think with the level cap being 40 you will not be able to get the dragon god masteries yet and you may find the class might not be fully realized to you until then. I've been toying around with my Sorc and I feel like a severe glass cannon but I was told there are ways later on to toughen up the class in terms of being squishy. Early on at your level I found spamming the right click attack to kill everything was faster than the other attacks I knew and I could kill faster than the other classes but I was very squishy.

Now I main a ranger and have pretty much always played a ranger so a fat disclaimer here I don't know much solid facts about any other class but that was just what I had experienced. xD I can say though you shouldn't be jealous of the low level ranger because they are *censored* until they get god masteries and I regret ever picking one on Savage Hunt right now because life is hell being one at the current state of the game.

• The mage really becomes powerful at around lvl70 when you have a couple points in your dragon god masteries which you get at lvl60, until then your most powerful attack stays your right click. Also note: 1handed > 2handed

• Thank you for your info. As I said before I'm around lvl 12 at the moment so I'm new to the game as of right now. i have yet to build up enough dmg to chunk mobs that are tankier than others. What stats would you suggest I focus into?

• What I have to admit: in DP leveling was much easier (too easy for my liking) and faster than in SH. Thus one didn't stay long enough on that low level (and low damage) to get frustrated.

Thank you for your info. As I said before I'm around lvl 12 at the moment so I'm new to the game as of right now. i have yet to build up enough dmg to chunk mobs that are tankier than others. What stats would you suggest I focus into?

I am no expert on mage skilling, but with putting all my attribute points into intelligence (and later also into ferocity) I got through the main quest quite well.

Things may change a bit to your advantage when you get your first purple weapon (from a main quest) at level 15.

Currently my mage twink is around level 13 and only farming daylies (capoc sheep). For that I mainly use the fire blade skill: fire - run (2 sec cool down) - fire - run... Takes a little bit longer but gets me through it without beeing hurt.

Also a great help is a stalwart dragon which is equipped with skills like "Roar" and "Intimidating Impact". By use of these skills the dragon forces the attackers to turn to him - while you can untroubledly fry them from the distance. :D

• Another hint: look for the dragon soul skills "Squama Protection" and "Blessing of Oziak/..." (and also for an instantly casting healing skill).

"Squama Protection" gives you +15% phys + mag defence for 5 minutes. "Blessing of Oziak" gives you mag dmg +20 and +1% for 10 minutes. Even better is "Blessing of ..." which gives you intelligence +20 and +1%.

• Early on at your level I found spamming the right click attack to kill everything was faster than the other attacks

Just tried this tactic - works surprisingly well. :)

Imho learning crowd control and dodging nevertheless are important skills to be mastered. But if "Elemental Impact" spamming helps to survive a a crowded situation - what more could one want? ^^

• So far grinding (like any other game) for levels has been a slight focus for me. With every lvl i have tried to keep ahead on the dmg with mobs. I went into a dungeon and ran away crying. I'm so ashamed of myself but these things happen. I gain some know how on combat skill with the mage, but it's hard to keep a distance with mobs when they can run up to you, and you have no knockback with a cool down. I'm still taking my time with building my mage up to where i want him to be but it's showing to be hard. Both ranged and close combat has noticeable difference with every battle. Drekariddar idk what skills you're talking about but a flame blade isn't something I know anything about. if it's not in SHDP i think it's best not to refer to it because I never played the previous game. On top of that I don't know if those skills are in the new game.

• Sorcerer class is very powerful, I know some top players who played as it. In my personal opinion I would rank Oracle and Sorcerer as the classes for best damage. However I think with the level cap being 40 you will not be able to get the dragon god masteries yet and you may find the class might not be fully realized to you until then. I've been toying around with my Sorc and I feel like a severe glass cannon but I was told there are ways later on to toughen up the class in terms of being squishy. Early on at your level I found spamming the right click attack to kill everything was faster than the other attacks I knew and I could kill faster than the other classes but I was very squishy.

Now I main a ranger and have pretty much always played a ranger so a fat disclaimer here I don't know much solid facts about any other class but that was just what I had experienced. xD I can say though you shouldn't be jealous of the low level ranger because they are *censored* until they get god masteries and I regret ever picking one on Savage Hunt right now because life is hell being one at the current state of the game.

I understand why you say this but the Archer has active skill best fitting battle. The mage can only defend at the start and it's not that great even if you put point into it which a skilled player wouldn't do that. I would focus on my dmg ovr defence since I want the mob dead before they can lay a hand on me or at the very least chunked by every hit. Archers in this game near lvl 15 or so have active dmg skills that are not auto attacks which aid in their dps. A friend of mine is playing as one and her dmg almost exceeds my own because of her versatility in battle. she doesn't need to stay in one place to attack, she has active skill outside of autos, and her mobility doesn't hinder or slow down. Mages are slow from the start and that's only because they have disgusting dps late game which I love <3

• Drekariddar idk what skills you're talking about but a flame blade isn't something I know anything about. if it's not in SHDP i think it's best not to refer to it because I never played the previous game. On top of that I don't know if those skills are in the new game.

Of course the flame blade is in SH - I'm using it with my mage.

That leads me to the question if you have already gained access to your weapon masteries? These skills are located on the second tab (below the basic masteries tab) of the mastery window (shortcut "N"). In the first row on the very right you can find the "Flame Blade".

The weapon masteries become accessable when reaching level 10. To gain access you have to talk to the Skytouched Dragon Knight in Paeon Farm. He will give you a quest leading you to Arteicia in Laedis and through a trial.

BTW: At level 60 there will be another trial to gain access to the dragon good masteries (the skills located on the 3rd tab in the mastery window).