Ranger class and useless/ boring abilities.

Thursday is maintenance day (starting at 10:00 CET)! We are trying to keep it as short as possible.
  • So firstly I enjoy the concept of the game minus the cash grab features but lately the one thing that annoys me about this game is the ranger skills.
    This will be mainly about the bow side abilities, At lvl 72 I have 3 active abilities because majority of the skills feel like they aren't good at all and would rather just use passive buffs.

- "Annihilation & Desolation sphere" will consume a lot of mana, have low aoe capabilities and require you to stand still, I suggest making a mastery perk for this skill that makes the aoe capabilities greater.

- "Dragon's Breath" although it has a good dmg and is something I might use it cant fit flying targets and also has low aoe capabilities. I would suggest making the aoe field larger the range shorter and able to hit flying targets.

-"Thorn, Fiery & Fire traps" I haven't used these skills but they don't appeal to me and since they have 3 different skill fields it seems like they could be replaced with skills that have more useful passives attached, Thorn could be poison, Fiery could burn and I would replace Fire with a Freezing slow field. Apparently they have low aoe, dmg and don't last long enough to be useful either.

-"Dexterity" This buff could be useful but it should be a passive or last much longer I don't I wont to have to check if I have it active.

-"Apocalypse sphere & Dragon's Gnaw" My guild members consider this the best skill for a ranger but I think it is boring and is only really useful vsing a target that is not moving or a large boss that doesn't move fast, I suggest having the procs hit faster and or locking the target in place so the procs can run its course.

-"Energy Sentence & Impale" This was a talent I was looking forward to because Piercing Thunder is my favorite skill, when I reached it I was rather disappointed. Using it frequently drains your dragon soul, has low dmg and low aoe capabilities, I suggest turning them both into passive perks for piercing thunder, One could paralyze the targets hit and they other could make the aoe capabilities stronger like more bounces or even a debuff that causes more dmg to the effected.

-"Agno, Bow talents" Could be a mistake but it says that you get the buff with a gun blade instead of a bow which would mean its a complete waste to have on that side of the talent tree, I haven't tried this ability anyway but something to fix to cause less confusion.

Lastly I suggest making some abilities usable when moving or at least reducing the cast time.

I don't think they will change these skills within the time I'm playing I'll have probably quit long ago but something to look into non the less I would love to come back to some fun new ideas, not some silly cash grab with little regard to character customization and leveling satisfaction.

• First of all, they won't be changing the skills anytime in the future...

Second, your main AoE as Ranger against mob-groups are Thorny Trap, Lonnier God (whichever you want), Piercing Thunder+Energy Sentence and Dragons Breath (you just have to get used to weird hitboxes)

Technically you could use the sphere-combo, but you don't really need it so the skillpoints can be invested better.

Dragon Gnaw and Energy Sentence also have two different versions of the skill, so you can choose the one fitting your playstyle.

1. Dragon Gnaw - 3 erruptions below the target, slow but high dmg

2. Dragon Gnaw - 3 erruptions around the target, almost instantly but lower dmg

1. Energy Sentence - 3 Projectiles doing dmg to a single target

2. Energy Sentence - 2 Projectiles doing dmg to multiple targets

Bow Ranger has pretty low cooldowns, so many of the abilities can be connected and used more often in a single fight.

Gunblade has some more AoE skills, but I don't really like playing Gunblade, so I can't say anything about that.

Ranger does have some pretty important passive Skills and Buffs, some of them are always active and some have to be activated every 5 minutes. For example Hunting Stance improves your overall Phy-Dmg by 14,5% only downside is you have to recast it. The dexterity buff can be pretty useful too, only thing with this is that its effectiveness varies with your equipment (mostly used when you already have a full set of end-game equip)

It takes some time to get used to the recasting, but that's some pretty low effort for the effect...

• Do you have a Ranger Guide? I have a Bow Ranger but I am running with a skill build that was based off information from NA. I know the Ranger skills have been tweaked since then and I'm sure people have found better skills for end game.

What skills do you suggest for PvE high damage bow build?

zios_coloured_small_by_dalekfell-dc7rj5o.png  

Main Toon: Nyteshade - Ranger Lvl 91 . I have a hard time seeing chat. Please don't be offended if I don't respond. Dragon's Prophet: Nyteshayde Ranger Lvl 102

• I don't have a guide, but I've been mainly playing ranger since the beginning of DP (and SH)...

What skills do you suggest for PvE high damage bow build?

1. Piercing Thunder + 1 point in Energy Sentence (version depending on what the focus of the skillset is, AoE or specific Target)

2. Dragon's Breath (decent dmg and ele dmg Buff)

3. Thorny Trap (for mob groups since dmg stacks with each enemy standing in it, version is personal preference)

4. Apocalypse Sphere + Dragon Gnaw (at target location)

5. Wings of Fury (Dragon Soul Version, since HP one is kinda useless)

6. Violent Sanction (kind of nice with knock-up AoE)

7. Mad Dragon Roar (Requires Gunblade-switch but Aggro-Crystal is pretty nice)

I'm also playing with Griffin Rake (without Scorpion Sting) but that's more a gap-closing tool than actual dmg

Everything above paired with different passive Buffs, depending on Build and Equipment.

• OMG Thank you so much! I'm going to re-skill and see how these work for me! Half of these I use already. I have used griffin rake/scorpion sting for mob control since it kicks them all back to a distance where I can throw dragon gnaw but I never tried thorny trap so maybe that will be better than the combo I have been using.

I agree about the Wings of fury HP being mostly useless. I used it alot when I was leveling. It does help at smaller levels to keep from being so squishy, but after you get some decent gear (NoT stuff) you really don't need it anymore. I run out of soul too fast now. I will switch it.

Mad Dragon Roar - do you switch to gun toss the skill then switch back to bow all as one combo? I haven't messed around with switching much.

I have been stacking up on Dragon Spell Damage (skill buffs on gear and shards) since I thought that was the special damage of choice for bow, but I see a skill there you recommend with the elemental damage buff. Should I be stacking some of that in there too (shards and gear skill buffs)?

Main Toon: Nyteshade - Ranger Lvl 91 . I have a hard time seeing chat. Please don't be offended if I don't respond. Dragon's Prophet: Nyteshayde Ranger Lvl 102

• Mad Dragon Roar - do you switch to gun toss the skill then switch back to bow all as one combo? I haven't messed around with switching much.

Yep, that's basically it. Overall, there are two versions of the skill, one can be aimed manually and sets of where you aimed it, the other is an automatic cast which dodges backwards and spawns the skill in front of you.

If you want everything within one combo, I'd suggest using the dodging one. Combo would be "Quickchange Gunblade --> Mad Dragon Roar --> Quickchange Bow" If you're fast enough, the skill will then unleash with the Bow-Stats, which will again do much more dmg than if it would have used the Gunblade stats.

Also, I wouldn't suggest to use a shield when switching since it sometimes messes up inventory space and can't be switched back to bow, when your pet collected something in the meantime...

I have been stacking up on Dragon Spell Damage

When it comes to elemental dmg, dsd is theoretically the right thing when playing with Lonnier. The ele-dmg boost from Dragon's Breath is just a nice to have extra, nothing must-have.

But if you want to have the highest possible dmg, Phy is your way to go. Every skill scales better with extra Physical Damage than with Dragon Spell Damage. Sometimes the differences are pretty small, between 1.02 scaling dsd and 1.05 scaling Phy, but Phy will always be better.

Also, Physical dmg can be buffed easier than dsd, since Hunting Stance, the Bow Mastery as well as Dragon Buffs mainly focus on Phy.

• But if you want to have the highest possible dmg, Phy is your way to go. Every skill scales better with extra Physical Damage than with Dragon Spell Damage. Sometimes the differences are pretty small, between 1.02 scaling dsd and 1.05 scaling Phy, but Phy will always be better.

Yeah I always stack on the physical damage but I think of it as standard instead of special ^^ I will keep to DSD for special but then if I have room toss in elemental. Eventually, as I shard farm and need the room, from what you said, I should lean more heavily on the Phy. Use the extra room for DSD and then last ele. Thank you so much!