Discussion - Events
On Thursday, 27th July at 19:00 CEST, we had our first discussion round about events. We were thrilled with the way the participants got involved - really great ideas came up and we got a lot of feedback that we can work with in the future.
So you do not miss any of the important information we have kept protocol. We will not replay our 2h+ conversation word by word here, but the contents and information are all there. All in all we had a very nice evening with different people and opinions, it was a lot of fun and we are looking forward to another discussion with the community.
- Things that are possible from our side
- GM / MOD team in terms of events
- Test runs for future events
- Questions from us to you
- Your leftover questions
- Desired topics for the next discussion round
1. Things that are possible from our side:
Monster / Boss spawns:
As you probably know by now, in the last few months we often have spontaneous events where we spawn monsters and bosses. Here you have some desires that we unfortunately can not meet at the moment.
Unfortunately we have a limited selection of monsters (5 different) and bosses (6 different) with our spawn tool. Likewise we are limited to a certain number of simultaneous spawns - fortunately we have not reached this limit with you yet.
Likewise, the current highest level we can spawn on is 200. This tool makes many things easier, but is still very limited. Therefore, we would definiteyl like to have it expanded later by Runewaker - this has currently not the highest priority unfortunately.
99% of our events can be shared across servers, so everyone can benefit from them. This means that we will try as often as possible to host events on (well performing) Sky Islands.
Many of you have already experienced this, whether we make you bigger or smaller, let everything shine or you become super fast. We can use many of the buffs you find in the game - but not all. But if you are seeing a boss skill and this is in some form a buff or debuff, then feel free to tell us that. Maybe we can use it next time.
Unfortunately, this type of entertainment also comes with high risks. One of these risks is that many people disconnect due to the high number of effects or their game closes completely - which we fall victim to as well - yes, we have the same problems as you.
Objects in the world:
Who has seen e.g. The last Jump 'n Run Parcours, knows that we can place certain things in the world. These things we call "objects" - unfortunately not everything you see falls in this category. As an example, houses are 99.9% not objects - just like trees. But we can e.g. use many plants, or walls and platforms (such as the egg circle plates) or even gigantic lakes of lava.
Of course, we can also use things of the Housing System - because we have the same options as you.
We are happy to organize larger events with you and not just small spontaneous events, but these usually cost us a lot of preparation time (planning, setup, etc.), then we have to perform them and afterwards make evaluations, etc. Therefore, such great things are only worthwhile if enough people attend - otherwise we will not get an approval for it. Because even if we enjoy doing such things with you: Usually the preparation and evaluation at minimum cost a lot of working hours.
Events that require log files:
These include e.g. Kill orders or crafting events - these are provided by Ildruin and me via. data logs evaluation. This is also associated with a lot of time (even if you might not believe it to be that way), but also can be a lot of fun for you guys.
2. GM / MOD team in terms of events:
This was not a part of where we wanted to recruit players - that's exactly what we told them. But we believed that it would be good to show you what the team can or can not do without us.
First, it was about what it means to have more Game Master on the server itself. This brings you all the more events, bigger events and events on the weekend. Because even if Ildruin and I have fun with you time and time again, we also like our weekend - for us that is still the end of our work week.
Unfortunately they do not have all the possibilities like us, they can not (currently) spawn monsters - yes, it is planned that they will be able to do this without us at some point.
Likewise, they can not spawn world objects, that's not possible. This would require rights on the live server that we can not grant GMs.
Game Masters also do not have access to the logs they need for larger evaluations. That's why such events are never possible without Ildruin or myself.
Buffs behave just like the spawn tool - currently they can not grant buffs and we are looking for a way that they can someday.
More moderators in the forum would mean something similar to the GMs - they could be more concerned with the forum events, such as: Screenshot contests or puzzles or whatever comes to their mind.
3. Test runs for future events:
As it has not always been perfect especially at the big events lately, we want to try out something new. (There will also be an announcement on this matter - do not worry.) Unfortunately, we do not have the "manpower" to test events with 20 people or even more, so we need you. Players can volunteer for test runs and we will contact them when we plan one. We will explain what they are about and what they should do and then we will do a smaller version of the event. Of course we expect feedback at the end of the test - what was good? What was bad? Are there any ideas for improvement? What could possibly go wrong at the event?
The last part is a particularly important one, because you know that problem: you work too long on something and have become blind to the possible mistakes. We hope that you will then draw our attention to such.
Since these are "only" test runs, they can of course also go really wrong. This should be clear to anyone who participates in it. Often such things are pretty funny, but of course they can be exhausting and annoying. So please be patient.
These test runs will not give any rewards. Just to put it out there.
Of course, players who participated in a test run can still take part in the right event - after all, your helpfulness should not be punished.
4. Questions from us to you:
Since we can not change or repeat things without your feedback, this area was 100% about your opinions and wishes. For this we had some questions for you:
1) Which of the last events / promotions did you like? - with reasons.
- Guild Tournament: It involves the whole guild, you have to do something together. It does not just depend on one person, but on several.
Competitive events are always good, it gives you a competitive edge and it's even more fun when it's really hard.
- Spontaneous Events: They clearly add to the general hilarity and bring the players of all communities together. In addition, the small rewards always sit well with you, they are nice little rewards.
2) Which of the last events / promotions did you not like? - with reasons.
- Screenshot Events: Not exciting enough and with as little involvement as is you do not have to go to so much trouble to get a good picture.
- Spawn Events: More bosses - better bosses. You are currently missing the challenge a little.
- Jump n 'Run: It took far too long to get there - and there was not enough information about the event and the process in general.
- Example from the Tournament: Not enough information about what is important in the competitions such as whether strategy matters, or damage - maybe even luck?
It was also unfair and badly timed that the level cap increase was published one day before the final. This must be planned clearly better next time.
- Game of the Week: It can happen that evaluations take longer, especially if it is a Cross Game Event. But there was too little information about how the evaluation progressed during the evaluation period. Likewise, the information came only on demand and not from us.
3) What kind of events do you wish for? - Wishes, ideas?
- Spawn events with a Monster Counter - if it is currently not technically possible to display them anywhere on the screen, simply announce them in the chat. This counter is to show how many monsters have been killed or still need to be killed for a particular target. Of course you can combine this with a time limit.
- Transfer bosses' mechanics (such as guild bosses) to the spawning bosses, so they have special and strong abilities and challenge.
- More Hide & Seek Events. Whether it's the search for a GM or special NPCs that are walking through the world, that did not matter to you.
- More Computer Friendly Events: Unfortunately, e.g. Spawn events are not for lower-end computers - many players can not take part in such things, and rather want events that do not consume so much power on their machines.
- Reconstruct unused islands - you could do this, e.g. transform into huge labyrinths where the walls move, opening new tunnels. In some places there are hidden bosses and monsters, traps would also be an idea.
- Beginner friendly events: In recent times there have been mainly events for players who are more towards the max. Levels. More events involving the new players would be nice.
- The Guardians and Hunters of the Ancients: A contest in which there are two teams: the Guardians and the Hunters. The hunters must try to kill the Ancients as many times as possible, the Guardians must protect the Legis and catch them so they will not be hurt. The rarer the Ancient, the more points he brings.
- Video events of Speedruns through dungeons or raids. Such an event has been around before, the first idea that you came up with is that you organize this guild based. Another idea (which we find particularly good hehe) is that WE choose the teams. You sign up, we randomly roll the dice.
- Progress Events: A phase where players who may not yet have mastered the current challenges can have a chance to do so more easily. As an example the Mount Sorthina was mentioned Some people despair during the first jumping puzzle. Just give fresh players the opportunity to master hard things easier for a certain amount of time. Of course, this should be announced with enough advance.
- Adjust dungeons for event phases: intensify them for a certain time or set special conditions under which you must complete this dungeon.
- Streams: Especially when large events are pending and only a limited number of people can watch or be present, one should take advantage of such opportunities to stream on Twitch. And if the team has no options for that at the moment, maybe players who encourage streaming anyway, will be there for that, so we can promote it better.
- Drop Buffs: Create a way again to earn a drop buffs for the server through certain tasks or events.
- Include CotP and the Island of Lost Souls more in events
- Territory War Event: Select either an existing island or a currently "inactive" one and everyone must fight for this island. This animates to have a big war and not just a short fight. If possible, you should do this separately from other wars. (Good idea - for this we have to do some research, though).
4) Do you find the rewards appropriate?
- So far yes, they have become a bit better over the last few months.
- As long as the cost of the reward is appropriate - we aim for this already.
- Reward: 5% Drop Chance skills for dragons or all small skills
- 6x Guilles Pack
- Spawn Events: rewarding longer battles better and with more variety.
5) How did you find the organization around the events?
- Make rules clearer in the future.
- Sometimes put more time in the planning to avoid possible misunderstandings and miscommunication in the future.
- More advertising for events would be nice, such as a teaser about what will happen in the event.
- Also more in-game announcements for events would be nice, e.g. a system message that scrolls over the screen or a pop-up message.
5. Your remaining questions:
Ancient Shadow Aqua Dragon - where is it?
- Behind the scenes we are currently working on it. It's not all that easy to bring such things into play without "destroying" SH's system. But we can promise you: It will come soon. Of course we did not forget DP!
What did you (Ildruin & Catrix) like most about this game when you were playing?
- Ildruin: I am intrigued by the love to detail, especially in the first zones. I have never found the system around the dragons in another game before and that's a big factor. Yes, just the uniqueness of the game - not the quests and the grind- rather the systems behind it. There are really enough things that make the game unique.
- Catarix: I can agree with Ildruin here. But also the beautiful landscapes - I often fly through the test server and search for new screenshots. Also, I find the variety of armor really great and fascinating - there are just so many different variations that you do not see in other games.
6. Desired topics for the next round of discussion:
- Representation of Dragon’s Prophet & Savage Hunt in other media (Advertisements)
- Adjustments of the game for the smaller numbers of players
A big thank you to everybody who participated!
We now look forward to suggestions for our next topic! We had two suggestions fleshed out for the topic of our next discussion round and could definitely use some more!